Inside Improvisation – The science behind theatrical improvisation and how to get better, is finally being released April 2018, and here’s the first draft of the cover!
Written by Academy of Improvisation principal Richard Bennett, Inside Improvisation explains how improv works from start to finish, referencing all the science that makes it work. 10 years in the making, it’s set to be a classic foundational text.
Classic rules and processes for learning and practicing improv are challenged, and well debated arguments and myths are finally debunked. How our bodies and brains work while improvising is completed explored, giving new insight into how to become a better improvisor.
- group mind explained
- the use of drugs and alcohol in improvisation
- divided attention vs. split attention and being in the moment
- fear and anxiety
- Johnstone vs. Chicago, facts and fallacies
- the origins of game of the scene
- the long and influential history of improvising today’s news stories
- what makes improv funny and is it always funny?
- how players communicate intention without realising it
- …and much much more