Written by Academy of Improvisation principal Richard Bennett, Inside Improvisation explains how improv works from start to finish, referencing all the science that makes it work. 10 years in the making, it’s set to be a classic foundational text.
Classic rules and processes for learning and practicing improv are challenged, and well debated arguments and myths are finally debunked. How our bodies and brains work while improvising is completed explored, giving new insight into how to become a better improvisor.
- group mind explained
- the use of drugs and alcohol in improvisation
- divided attention vs. split attention and being in the moment
- fear and anxiety
- Johnstone vs. Chicago, facts and fallacies
- the origins of game of the scene
- the long and influential history of improvising today’s news stories
- what makes improv funny and is it always funny?
- how players communicate intention without realising it
- …and much much more
Where to buy
Inside Improvisation in paperback can be ordered from most books shops around the world as a special order, or from most online book stores. The eBook is exclusively available for Kindle from Amazon.
Academy of Improvisation (direct from publisher) — paperback
Amazon Australia — paperback
Amazon Australia — Kindle eBook
Book Depository UK via Amazon Australia — paperback, ships from U.K.
Booktopia — paperback
Fishpond — paperback, ships from U.K.
Amazon Canada — Kindle eBook